International Friendly Match - Hong Kong 2:0 Myanmar


Hong Kong squared off against Myanmar National Team on wednesday night in Mong Kok Stadium for a friendly. Hong Kong gave it its best shot on the day and scraped past Myanmar with a 2:0 victory.

It has been almost three years since Hong Kong last played on home turf. The match would help the Hong Kong team to prepare for next year’s Asian Cup after they made it through the qualifying stage in India in June to secure a berth in the finals – their first since 1968.

Hong Kong went straight after the opening whistle. On the 9th minute, Chan Siu Kwan thought he had claimed a early goal for Hong Kong but his effort was ruled out for offside.

On the 35th minute, Hong Kong produced its first scoring chance. A centering pass from the left wing was met by towering header from Sun Ming Him. The ball just dropped into the Myanmar net. Hong Kong was in front 1:0.

After 1 minute, Hong Kong did it in the same way again.

Ju Yingzhi  made a darting run down the left wing and delivered a great cross towards the middle. Law Tsz Chun soared high at the back-post and scored another headed goal for Hong Kong.

Hong Kong was up 2:0 heading into half time break.

In the second half, Myanmar gradually regained its composure and fought back. On the 61st minute, Myanmar’s striker Aung Naing Win picked up the ball from a forward pass and pulled the trigger, but could not solve Hong Kong goalkeeper Silva Paulo with his effort.

On the 66th minute, Law Tsz Chun who score the second goal, gained control of the ball down the right wing and cut towards the middle and unloaded, only to be stopped by a smart save from keeper Pyae Phyo Thu. The home side generated another scoring chance on the 83rd minute, substitute Fernando Pedreira broke through down the middle and fired a quick shot, only to be cleared off the goal-line by the away team.

The score stood towards the final whistle, as Hong Kong edged Myanmar 2:0 on the day. Hong Kong will meet Myanmar again on the coming Saturday in Hong Kong Stadium.

Hong Kong 2:0 Myanmar