AFC U20 Asian Cup Uzbekistan 2023 Qualifiers Group F - Hong Kong U20 1:2 Timor Leste U20


Hong Kong U20 Men's Representative Team and Timor Leste U20 National Team locked horns on Sunday afternoon in Gelora Bung Tomo Stadium for a clash in the AFC U20 Asian Cup Uzbekistan 2023 Qualifiers Group F. Hong Kong opened the score early in the game but fell to contain Timor-Leste afterwards, eventually suffering a heart-breaking 1:2 defeat against its opponent on the day.

Timor-Leste started the game positively and came straight towards Hong Kong. On the 3rd minute, a centering pass from the left wing was met by Ejovanio Da Costa. The latter pulled the trigger from the edge of the box but blasted the ball over the crossbar.

On the 10th minute, Hong Kong produced its first scoring chance of the game. Matthew Slattery found enough daylight from inside the Timor-Leste box and unleashed a quick shot, only to be stopped by the goalkeeper. Sohgo Ichikawa showed great awareness and fired the ball home from doorstep. Hong Kong was in front 1:0.

On the 25th minute, Timor-Leste's Alexandro Lemos connected with a teammate's centering pass but headed the ball wide.

Afterwards, Sandro Quintao and Cristevao Fernandes both tested their luck with shots towards the Hong Kong goal, only to miss hitting the intended target.

On the 41st minute, Timor-Leste’s Zenivio Mota spun and fired from just outside the Hong Kong box but smashed the ball high.

Shortly afterwards, Zenivio Mota curled a sweet shot from the left wing but sent the ball narrowly wide off the Hong Kong goal-post.

Hong Kong was up 1:0 heading into half time break.

Timor-Leste continued to fight back in the second half.

On the 52nd minute, a Timor-Leste corner-kick delivery from the left side was met by a towering header from Juvito Moniz. The ball just dropped into the Hong Kong net. Timor-Leste was now tied with Hong Kong at 1:1.

On the 60th minute, Timor-Leste pulled in front, as Hong Kong players failed to clear the ball away from its danger area. Ejivanio Da Costa fired from inside the box and found the back of the net.

Hong Kong tried to fight back and produced a great scoring chance on the 82nd minute. Jeremy Tsang made a darting run down the left wing and delivered a great cross towards the middle. Matthew Slattery soared high at the back-post but headed the ball wide.

Late in the game, Hong Kong had an even better chance. Ellison Tsang's header from inside the Timor-Leste box was cleared away by an opposing player.

Both sides failed to add to the score in the remaining regulation time, as Hong Kong suffered a heart-breaking 1:2 loss against Timor-Leste on the day.