2020-21 BOC Life Hong Kong Premier League – Kwoon Chung Southern 4:1 RCFC


Kwoon Chung Southern took on RCFC on Wednesday in Aberdeen Sports Ground for a rare midweek BOC Life Hong Kong Premier League afternoon fixture. A hat-trick performance by James Ha, plus a stoppage time-goal from Shu Sasaki, drove Kwoon Chung Southern past RCFC through a 4:1 victory.

RCFC fired the first shot of the game on the 9th minute, Liu Yik-shing picked up the ball on the left flank and pulled the trigger, only to send the ball over the Kwoon Chung Southern crossbar.

Kwoon Chung Southern delighted the home supporters and opened the score on the 14th minute. Jack Sealy made a fantastic run down the right wing and knocked a well-placed cross towards the middle. James Ha soared high, beat an RCFC player to the ball and headed it home with authority.

The Hong Kong Island-side continued to press for the next goal. On the 17th minute, Jordan Lam gave chase to a Stefan Pereira forward pass, fought off pressure from RCFC’s Liu Yik-shing and darted into the box. Lam unleashed a low drive but saw his shot nicely claimed by Lam Chun-kit in the RCFC net.

RCFC went looking for the equalizer afterwards. On the 21st minute, Liu Yik-shing unleashed a tight-angle shot from the left side but could not get his effort past Kwoon Chung Southern goalkeeper Tse Tak-him.

On the 28th minute, the visitors came close again. This time, RCFC’s Felipe Sa shook off his markers down the right wing, then smashed a low drive that ended up sailing wide off the Kwoon Chung Southern goal.

Kwoon Chung Southern had a glorious chance to double its lead past the half hour mark. On the 32nd minute, James Ha got behind the RCFC defense and went one-on-one against RCFC goalkeeper Lam Chun-kit. Ha managed to fire away but was brilliantly stopped by the RCFC custodian. The Kwoon Chung Southern striker latched onto the rebound but sent the ball wide.

On the 37th minute, RCFC’s Felipe Sa almost tied the game for the visitors, as the lightning-quick attacker found enough daylight on the right flank and pulled the trigger, only fire the ball off-target. The first half eventually ended with RCFC down by a goal.

Early in the second half, RCFC and Kwoon Chung Southern had respective chances to score, yet Cheng King-ho’s shot could not get past Kwoon Chung Southern goalkeeper Tse Tak-him, while Roberto Fronza’s long range drive failed to hit the RCFC net.

Kwoon Chung Southern made it 2:0 on the 50th minute. Shu Sasaki’s corner-kick found Roberto Fronza at the far-post. Fronza headed the ball back to the RCFC doorstep, allowing James Ha to redirect the ball home through a timely header.

RCFC had a decent chance to pull one back on the 56th minute. Lau Kwan-ching seized an opening and drilled a dangerous strike towards the Kwoon Chung Southern net, only to see his shot tipped over the crossbar by goalkeeper Tse Tak-him. On the ensuing corner-kick, Felipe Sa connected with a teammate’s corner-kick delivery and sent a leaping header towards the Kwoon Chung Southern net. The ball took a deflection off the woodwork and bounced out of play.

Kwoon Chung Southern expanded its lead on the 65th minute. Paco Chan’s long throw-in caused melee inside the RCFC penalty area. James Ha was quick to react and poked the ball home. The score was now 3:0 with the Hong Kong Island-side gradually pulling away. Ha completed his hat-trick with slightly over sixty minutes of work.

Afterwards, RCFC attempted to break the goose egg and finally did so. On the 89th minute, Yue Tsz-nam made a darting run down the right wing before sending the ball towards the middle. Felipe Sa one-timed at the delivery and beat Kwoon Chung Southern goalkeeper Tse Tak-him with his strike. RCFC was finally on the scoreboard.

Deep in stoppage down, the referee spotted a foul committed by an RCFC player inside his own box and gave Kwoon Chung Southern a penalty-shot. Shu Sasaki took the spot-kick and fired the ball home, making it 4:1 in the process.

The 4:1 score eventually stood towards the final whistle, as Kwoon Chung Southern defeated RCFC on the day and claimed all three points.

Kwoon Chung Southern 4:1 RCFC