Turkish Women’s Cup 2020 Hong Kong 1-4 Romania


Hong Kong faced Romania for its first game in the Turkish Women’s Cup 2020 on Wednesday afternoon in Star Light Sports Complex, Turkey. Hong Kong put up a courageous fight against Romania but fell short against the Europeans by 1:4.

Hong Kong was put under immediate pressure by the Romanians after the opening whistle. However, starting goalkeeper Ng Cheuk-wai was in fine form and denied the Romanians on multiple occasions to keep the game scoreless.

However, Romania still managed to get in front early in the first-half through a long-range strike that lobbed over Hong Kong goalkeeper Ng Cheuk-wai and entered the net.

After conceding an early goal, the Hong Kong players responded tremendously and started to exert themselves to the opponent. Unfortunately for Hong Kong, shots from Wai Yuen-ting and Chan Wing-sze both failed to solve the Romania goalkeeper.

Later on, Hong Kong’s efforts finally paid off, as Heidi Yuen showed off blazing speed down the right-wing and knocked the ball towards the middle. A Romanian defender failed to clear the ball away, gifting Sneha Limbu the perfect opportunity to smash the ball home. The game was now tied at 1:1.

However, Hong Kong’s joy was short-lived, as Romania quickly re-established its lead through a clinical finish from inside the Hong Kong penalty area. Hong Kong suddenly found itself trailing 1:2 at this point.

Late in the first-half, Hong Kong almost tied the game for the second time in the first-half, yet skipper Chan Wing-sze’s curling free-kick from the left-wing was confidently handled by the Romania goalkeeper.

Hong Kong was down by a goal heading into the interval.

Early in the second-half, Hong Kong had a great chance to equalize. Cheung Wai-ki nicked the ball off a Romania player on the left-wing and pushed deep into the penalty area. The lanky Hong Kong forward then unleashed a tight-angle shot but sent the ball wide across the Romania goal.

Hong Kong generated another scoring chance on the 58th minute. Sneha Limbu picked out teammate Cheung Wai-ki with a clever pass. Cheung then flicked the ball over her marker and pulled the trigger, only to miss hitting the intended target.

On the other end, the Europeans went on and expanded its lead, as a Romania player converted a teammate’s cross and buried her shot from the Hong Kong doorstep. Hong Kong was down 1:3 at this point.

Romania bagged another goal on the 73rd minute through a similar play, as a Romanian forward found herself on the receiving-end of a teammate’s cross, then fired home from inside the Hong Kong penalty area. Hong Kong was trailing 1:4 late in the game.

The Europeans had a late chance to pull further away on the scoreboard. However, a powerful shot from a Romania player near the top of the Hong Kong box ended up ringing off the crossbar and staying out of the net.

The score stood towards the final whistle, as Hong Kong fell short against Romania by 1:4.