2019 CTFA U-19 International Tournament - Chinese Taipei U-18 2:1 Hong Kong U-18


Hong Kong locked horns with Chinese Taipei in National Stadium, Kaohsiung, Chinese Taipei on Monday evening for its second match in the 2019 CTFA U-19 International Tournament. Hong Kong scored the opening goal of the game but failed to hold on to the lead, eventually dropping a 2:1 decision to Chinese Taipei.

Hong Kong almost got off to a wonderful start in the game. On the 3rd minute, Les Fung hooked a great shot from the right-wing towards goal, only to be denied by a spectacular one-handed save from Chinese Taipei goalkeeper Tsai Yu-hsiang.

Chinese Taipei gathered its footing and started to apply pressure towards the Hong Kong goal. On the 6th minute, Cheng Fu-sung fired a left-footer from the edge of the box but could not find the target.

Several minutes later, Chinese Taipei’s Lin Chun-kai unloaded a rocket shot towards the Hong Kong goal, only to see his shot tipped over the crossbar by Hong Kong goalkeeper Ngan Ngo-tin.

The game went into a stalemate afterwards and the next scoring chance did not occur past the half-hour mark. On the 36th minute, Miguel Sandberg picked up the ball near the top of the Hong Kong box but smashed the ball well over the Hong Kong goal.

On the 38th minute, it was still Chinese Taipei. This time, Cheng Chih-huan connected with a Cheng Fu-sung header but sent the ball wide.

Hong Kong went against the play and nicked the lead on the 39th minute, as Lai Pui-kei’s majestic long-range strike beat Chinese Taipei goalkeeper Tsai Yu-hsiang and found the back of the net. The visitors were in front by a goal.

Chinese Taipei upped the pressure in the second-half in search for the equalizer. On the 52nd minute, Lin Min-wei found himself on the receiving end of a teammate’s centering pass but fired the ball wide.

The home side came even closer on the 69th minute. Lin Ming-wei’s free-kick delivery caused havoc inside the Hong Kong box. Yu Yao-hsun seized the opportunity and fired from close-range but hit the crossbar with his effort.

Chinese Taipei finally drew level on the 79th minute. The Hong Kong defense failed to clear away Lin Chun-kai’s free-kick delivery. Cheng Chih-huan was quick to the ball and duly tucked it home, tying the game at 1:1.

The home side completed its comeback on the 82nd minute, as Lai Wei’s thunderous shot from the edge of the box gave Hong Kong goalkeeper Ngan Ngo-tin no chance and hit the back of the net. It was 2:1 for Chinese Taipei at this point.

Both sides failed to add to the score in the remaining regulation time, as Chinese Taipei came from behind to defeat Hong Kong 2:1.