Women International Football Friendly Match - Hong Kong 1:1 Philippines


Hong Kong Women's Representative Team locked horns with Philippines on Sunday evening in Tseung Kwan O Sports Ground for an international friendly match. Hong Kong netted the opening goal but could not hold on to its lead, surrounding a late equalizer to Philippines and had to settle for a 1:1 draw.

In the opening minutes, Hong Kong forward Cheung Wai-ki had successive scoring chances but could not find the target with her shots.

On the 6th minute, Hong Kong’s Cheung Wai-ki delivered a low cross towards the middle. Wai Yuen-ting could not get to the ball and let it drift towards the back-post. Ho Mui-mei connected but was turned away by Philippines goalkeeper Inna Palacios in superb fashion.

Hong Kong took the lead on the 8th minute, as Ho Mui-mei nicked the ball off a Philippines player and then found teammate Cheung Wai-ki. Cheung displayed great striker’s composure and buried her chance, making it 1:0 for Hong Kong.

Philippines came up with a rare chance on the 22nd minute. Sara Castaneda connected with a teammate’s cross but could not generate enough pace on her header to trouble goalkeeper Ng Cheuk-wai.

Hong Kong nearly doubled its lead on the 28th minute. Cheung Wai-ki sent Wai Yuen-ting through down the left-wing. Wai picked up the ball inside the box and belted a right-footer towards goal, only to be denied by Philippines goalkeeper Inna Palacios.

Philippines had a great chance to draw level on the 35th minute, as Alisha Del Campo found herself on the receiving end of a teammate’s defense-splitting pass and dashed into the Hong Kong box. Del Compo pulled the trigger on a running shot but saw her effort went wide off the goal-post.

Hong Kong was leading 1:0 entering the interval.

Hong Kong had a great chance to double its lead early in the second-half. On the 50th minute, Cheung Wai-ki found teammate Chan Wing-sze with a superb pass. The Hong Kong midfielder pushed forward with the ball and fired away, only to see her shot went wide off the Philippines goal.

On the 63rd minute, Hong Kong was at it again. This time, Cheung Wai-ki picked up the ball on the left wing and unleashed a bouncing shot towards the Philippines goal, only to see her shot pushed away by a diving Inna Palacios in net.

The home side came up with another chance on the 70th minute, as Wong So-han’s free-kick from outside the box soared over the crossbar.

Hong Kong suffered a heart-break late in the game, as Philippines managed to tie the game. On the 89th minute, Philippines managed to swing the ball from the right side to the left. Mea Bernal unleashed a low-drive from inside the box. The ball hit the goal-post and entered the net. It was now 1:1.

The score stood towards the final whistle, as Hong Kong Women’s Representative Team and Philippines shook hands on a 1:1 draw.

Hong Kong Women 1:1 Philippines Women