Women’s Olympic Football Tournament 2020 Qualifiers Round 2 - Hong Kong 1:2 Vietnam


Hong Kong Women’s Representative Team faced off against Vietnam in Transportation Institute Stadium, Tashkent, Uzbekistan on Saturday afternoon for its second match in the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament 2020 Qualifiers Round 2 Group B. Hong Kong gave it a good fight but somehow came up just short, eventually losing 2:1 to Vietnam.

Hong Kong found itself under pressure right from the start of the game and dodged the bullet on two occasions, as Vietnam struck the Hong Kong woodwork on the 10th and 19th minute.

Vietnam broke the game open on the 23rd minute through a corner-kick play, as Hong Kong defender Sin Chung-yee accidentally knocked the ball into her own net, giving Vietnam a one-goal lead.

Afterwards, Hong Kong launched a comeback trying to tie the game. Unfortunately for Hong Kong, Cheung Wai-ki’s shot failed to hit the target, while Wong Shuk-fun’s effort was smartly claimed by the Vietnamese goalkeeper, keeping Hong Kong a goal-down.

On the 40th minute, Vietnam took its chance and doubled its lead, as striker Huynh Nhu buried her opportunity and fired the ball home, establishing a two-goal lead for Vietnam entering the half-time break.

Hong Kong pulled one back early in the second-half. On the 47th minute, Kay Fung knocked the ball towards the middle. Cheung Wai-ki unleashed a timely header at the front-post. The ball hit the crossbar and was eventually saved by the Vietnamese goalkeeper. Wai Yuen-ting was in great position and tucked the ball home. The score was now 2:1 with Hong Kong trailing.

Vietnam upped the pressure afterwards and came up with two great scoring chances. However, young Hong Kong goalkeeper Ng Yuen-ki stood her ground and turned away the Vietnam attack on both occasions.

Late in the game, Hong Kong tried hard in search for the equalizer. However, efforts from Cheung Wai-ki and Wai Yuen-ting both failed to hit the target, eventually sealing Hong Kong’s fate on the day.

The 2:1 score stood towards the final whistle, as Vietnam overcame Hong Kong through a one-goal margin.

(Photo credit: AFC)