The 41st Guangdong - Hong Kong Cup - Hong Kong 4:0 Guangdong (Agg. 5:2)


Hong Kong squared off against Guandong on Wednesday evening for the second leg of the 41st Guangdong-Hong Kong Cup. Hong Kong rewarded its passionate supporters with a superb 4:0 victory over Guangdong, claiming the 41st Guangdong-Hong Kong Cup through a 4:0 (5:2) aggregate score.

Hong Kong generated the first scoring chance of the game on the 15th minute. Guangdong failed to effectively clear away Cheng Siu-kwan’s corner-kick. Wu Chun-ming pulled the ball backwards for teammate Sun Ming-him. The latter fired away from distance but could not hit the back of the Guangdong net.

Moments later, Hong Kong came up with an even better chance. Cheng Siu-kwan showed great instinct and speed by catching up to a teammate’s forward pass. Cheng managed to get off a quick shot but was turned away by Guangdong keeper Hou Yu.

On the 18th minute, Guangdong went knocking on the Hong Kong door with a half-chance. Unfortunately for Deng Yubiao, his bouncing shot from outside the box failed to trouble Hong Kong goalkeeper Choy Tsz-to.

Hong Kong broke the game open on the 22nd minute. Cheng Siu-kwan floated a teasing free-kick into the Guangdong box. Matthew Orr applied a nifty touch from close-range and directed the ball home, making it 1:0.

The home side continued to search for the next goal. On the 25th minute, Yuen Chun-sing took control of the ball outside the Guangdong box and pressed forward before drilling his shot over the visitors’ crossbar.

Guangdong tired to get back on level terms and nearly did so on the 34th minute, as Zhong Juzhan unleashed a dipping shot from well outside the Hong Kong box but saw his effort landed on top of the Hong Kong goal.

Hong Kong kept up with the pressure while looking to double its lead. On the 39th minute, Cheng Siu-kwan delivered a swirling corner-kick into the box. Leung Nok-hang soared high but headed the ball wide.

The home side came up with yet another scoring chance on the 41st minute. Yue Tsz-lam picked up the ball outside the Guangdong box, cut back towards the middle and belted a left-footer that was tipped over the crossbar by Hou Yu.

Guangdong made a last-ditch effort to tie the game in the first-half. On the 45th minute, Yu Jianfeng’s corner-kick was headed wide by towering defender Chen Zijie.

Hong Kong doubled its lead on the 51st minute, when Sun Ming-him’s free-kick was nodded home by Leung Nok-hang inside the Guangdong box. The home side was leading 2:0 at this stage.

The home side nearly sent its supporters into frenzy on the 55th minute, as Cheng Siu-kwan found himself on the receiving end of a slick Cheng Chin-lung forward pass. Cheng fired a running shot but was denied by Guangdong goalkeeper Hou Yu.

Hong Kong pulled further away on the scoreboard on the 56th minute, as the referee spotted a foul committed by a Guangdong player inside his own box. Yuen Chun-sing assumed the spot-kick duty and knocked the ball into the net with calmness. The score was 3:0 with Hong Kong well in front.

Guangdong nearly pulled one back on the 65th minute, as Ye Chungui’s header from inside the Hong Kong box looked set for goal, only to be cleared away by Sun Ming-him before the goal-line.

The game went through a heated moment around the 70th minute mark, as the referee flashed out red cards to both Hong Kong’s Matthew Orr and Guangdong’s Hou Yu, after deeming the two had committed serious offense on the pitch.

However, that did not stop Hong Kong from scoring the next goal. On the 71st minute, a Guangdong defender headed down a long pass from Hong Kong. Yue Tsz-lam righted his body and fired a sublime half-volley that soared into the back of the Guangdong net. The score was now 4:0.

The score stood towards the eventual final whistle, as Hong Kong won the second leg of the Guangdong-Hong Kong Cup by 4:0, winning the 41st Guangdong-Hong Kong Cup through a 4:0 (5:2) aggregate score.

Hong Kong 4:0 Guangdong