The 4th Women Guangdong-Hong Kong Cup - Guangdong 6:2 Hong Kong


Hong Kong Women’s Representative Team locked horns with Guangdong Women’s Representative Team on a chilly Sunday morning for the 4th Guangdong-Hong Kong Interport. Hong Kong competed hard but still came up short against the host in a 6:2 defeat.

Hong Kong managed to put up a strong midfield battle with Guangdong in the early goings. However, it was the host that came up with the first shot of the game. On the 12th minute, Zhong Xiudong broke loose behind the Hong Kong defense and tested goalkeeper Ng Cheuk-wai with a shot, only to be turned away by the Hong Kong custodian. Li Zhijun went for the rebound but was once again rebuffed by Ng.

Moments later, Guangdong’s Liao Meixin cut back towards the middle and unleashed a cracking shot towards the Hong Kong goal, only to be rejected by a wonderful save from goalkeeper Ng Cheuk-wai.

Guangdong was not to be denied and went in front on the 19th minute, as Luo Guiping connected with a teammate’s corner-kick delivery and nodded the ball home, putting Guangdong in front 1:0.

On the 31st minute, Guangdong came up with a wonderful chance to double its lead. Li Zhijun found herself on the receiving end of a teammate’s centering pass and sent a flick-shot towards the Hong Kong net. Fortunately for Hong Kong, Li’s shot went wide off target.

Guangdong made it 2:0 on the 51st minute. Chen Yudan buried a teammate’s cross and duly smashed the ball into the Hong Kong net, beating goalkeeper Ng Cheuk-wai in the process. The score was 2:0 with Guangdong in front.

Hong Kong answered back on the 61st minute. Wai Yuen-ting picked out teammate Cheung Wai-ki with a fine pass down the right side. Cheung showed great striker’s instinct and fired the ball into the net through the far-side. It was now 2:1 with Hong Kong only a goal behind.

On the 69th minute, Li Guiming pulled the trigger from the left-flank but saw her shot hitting the crossbar and staying out of the net. Guangdong was still in front with a one-goal lead.

A minute later, Guangdong pulled further away, as Li Qingtong motored her way into the box before finishing things off with a lethal strike that hit the back of the Hong Kong net. It was now 3:1 for the home side.

On the 73rd minute, Guangdong’s Zeng Minyi capitalized on a goal-mouth scramble and drilled the ball home, making it 4:1 for Guangdong.

Hong Kong pulled closer on the 82nd minute, as Cheung Wai-ki sent teammate Pang Tsz-ching through with a splendid forward pass. Pang rounded the Guangdong goalkeeper, then coolly fired the ball into the empty net. The score was now 4:2 with Hong Kong trailing by two goals.

Guangdong quickly replied with yet another goal. On the 83rd minute, Chen Yudan unleashed a superb shot from the top of the box and found the back of the Hong Kong net, making it 5:2 and re-establishing Guangdong’s three-goal lead.

Late in the game, Luo Guiping connected with a teammate’s corner-kick and headed the ball home with authority. The score was now 6:2.

The score stood towards the final whistle, as Guangdong defeated Hong Kong 6:2 and took home the 4th Guangdong-Hong Kong Interport.