41th GD-HK Cup (1st Leg) - Guangdong 2:1 Hong Kong


Hong Kong faced off against Guangzhou on Sunday afternoon for the 41st Guangdong-Hong Kong Interport (1st Leg).  Goals from Lu Lin and Chen Zijie saw Guangdong edging Hong Kong 2:1 on the day, as the home side took the first leg of the 41st Guangdong-Hong Kong Interport.

Guangdong nearly opened the score on the 17th minute, when Hu Weiwei picked up the ball on the right flank and sent a lovely delivery into the Hong Kong box. Lu Lin made a great run into the penalty area and nodded the ball towards the Hong Kong net, only to be turned away by a spectacular sprawling save from goalkeeper Tse Ka-wing.

The home team came up with another scoring chance on the half-hour mark. Guangdong captain Lu Lin fired straight from a free-kick on the left-wing but ended up hitting the side-netting. The game remained scoreless at this point.

Hong Kong generated a rare chance on the 35th minute. Chan Kwong-ho found daylight on the right side and swung the ball towards the middle. Yuen Chun-sing flashed out a bicycle-kick but fired the ball wide.

Guangdong kept searching for the go-ahead goal. On the 38th minute, Chen Zhizhao pulled the trigger from outside the box but could not find the intended target.

On the 41st minute, the home side nearly took the lead. Lu Lin’s corner-kick from the left-side was nodded backwards in the goal-mouth. Chen Zijie stretched out his leg at the far-post but fired the ball wide.

Just before the half-time whistle, Hong Kong suffered a setback and fell behind. The referee spotted a foul committed by a Hong Kong player inside his own box and pointed straight to the penalty spot. Lu Lin assumed the spot-kick duty and buried his shot. Guangdong was in front 1:0.

Hong Kong almost tied the game on the 49th minute, as Yuen Chun-sing shook off his markers down the left flank and pulled the trigger, only to witness his effort saved by Hou Yu in the Guangdong goal.

On the 50th minute, Guangdong scored its second goal of the game. Lu Lin delivered a great corner-kick into the Hong Kong box, Chen Zijie soared high and nodded the ball home, making it 2:0.

Hong Kong nearly answered back on the 55th minute, as Yue Tsz-lam motored into the Guangdong box with the ball and fired a running shot, only to be smothered by Guangdong goalkeeper Hou Yu.

Past the hour-mark, Guangdong had back-to-back chances to go further in front. Unfortunately for the home side, shots from Deng Yubiao and Ye Chugui failed to beat substitute goalkeeper Choy Tsz-to.

Guangdong generated another goal-scoring chance on the 75th minute, as Lu Lin connected with a teammate’s centering pass and unleashed a cracking volley straight towards the Hong Kong net. Once again, substitute goalkeeper Choy Tsz-to stood tall and claimed Lu’s shot through a sprawling save.

The home side nearly scored again on the 89th minute, when Gong Liangxuan’s header hit the goal-post and stayed out of the net.

Hong Kong managed to cut Guangdong’s lead into half deep in stoppage time, as Jordan Lam let rip a dipping shot from way outside the Guangdong box and beat the home keeper. The score was 2:1 at this point.

Both sides failed to add to the score in the remaining regulation time, as Guangdong went on to edge Hong Kong 2:1 in the first leg of the 41st Guangdong-Hong Kong Interport.