AYA Bank Cup 2016 – Myanmar 3:0 Hong Kong


Myanmar and Hong Kong met up on Monday afternoon in Yangon, Myanmar, fighting for the third-place in the AYA Bank Cup 2016. A tiring and largely experimental Hong Kong side was no match for the local host, as Hong Kong suffered a 0:3 defeat on the hands of Myanmar.

Myanmar tested Hong Kong early in the game on the 3rd minute. Ye Ko Oo picked out an open Than Paing with a lovely pass, allowing the latter to unleash a shot that sadly went wide off target. Shortly afterwards, Kyi Lin cut inside from the left wing before cracking a shot that was nicely handled by Hong Kong keeper Wang Zhenpeng.

Hong Kong had its first chance of the game on the 6th minute. Captain Cheng King-ho’s cross from the right side was met by a leaping Tommy Chuck inside the Myanmar box. Unfortunately, Chuck could not find the target with his soaring header.

Myanmar came threatening the Hong Kong net moments later, when Kyaw Ko Ko and Ye Ko Oo both had chances to put the host nation in front. However, Kyaw’s running shot hit the side netting, while Ye’s blast from the top of the box soar just high above the crossbar.

On the 22nd minute, Myanmar finally broke the game open. A quick counter-attack saw Myanmar’s Kyaw Ko Ko picking out Than Paing with a fine forward pass. The later darted inside the Hong Kong box, pulled the trigger and saw his shot hitting the far post and went into the net. Myanmar was now up with a one-goal lead.

Myanmar came close again on the 32nd minute, when David Htan’s pass from the right side found a surging Aung Thu. The latter one-timed at the ball but drilled his shot straight towards Hong Kong keeper Wang Zhenpeng.

Alessandro Leonardo had two great chances to put Hong Kong back on level terms early in the second half. On the 55th minute, Leonardo’s free-kick from the top of the box went just high above the Myanmar crossbar. Shortly afterwards, another free-kick from Leonardo, this time from the left side, ended up hitting the crossbar and bounced out of play.

Hong Kong continued to search for the equalizer and nearly tied the game on the 63rd minute, when Manoel Santos’ corner-kick from the left side found a leaping Helio Goncalves inside the Myanmar box. Unfortunately, the latter’s bouncing header failed to hit the target and went out of play.

The visitors had another chance on the 74th minute. This time, Roberto Affonso pulled the ball back to Hui Ka-lok just outside the Myanmar penalty area. Young Hui stepped up and ripped a low shot towards the Myanmar net, forcing out a great sprawling save from keeper Kyaw Zin Phyo.

However, it was Myanmar who came up with the next goal of the game. On the 75th minute, Maung Maung Lwin capitalized on a defensive mistake by the Hong Kong defense and fired the ball home, putting Myanmar in front by two goals.

Ye Ko Oo sealed the game for Myanmar on the 89th minute, when the attacker belted a dipping strike from the left side that beat Hong Kong keeper Wang Zhenpeng cleanly. Hong Kong was now down by three goals.

Both sides failed to add to the score in the remaining minutes, as Hong Kong suffered a demoralizing 0:3 defeat on the hands of a very lively Myanmar side.